Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year...and more Social Bookmarking that is more...well, Social


First off, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and happy whatever other holidays you may celebrate.

2008 is going to be a big year with lots of change in store for me: I'm teaching a largely new online course and trying out a bunch of new things which is usually exciting, but is also a bit scary this time since its lots of new all at once; I'm anticipating new employment and many new projects; I'll likely be moving and purchasing a new home; and on the personal-improvement level--and this is not yet well-thought-out--I want to get into more social social bookmarking!

Most of my bookmarking is simply for myself (I primarily use del.icio.us), but there's little social about it. I intend to do more with my class this spring, so we'll see how it goes. In the mean time I came across this article "Five Ways You Can Fall in Love With Tagging Again" that is already bemoaning what I haven't yet even started in earnest--social bookmarking. I've considered and struggled myself with the notion of tagging. I am not yet comfortable navigating my own tags and have not settled on consistent enough terms for myself, but I'm still not convinced the established taxonomies are all that much more useful.

In any event, I look forward to teaching my online class this semester, and experimenting with ways in which to effectively use bookmarks in a more social way.
How do you use, or how have you used social bookmarking for yourself or in your teaching? Let me know.
-JG

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.